Sunday, July 1, 2012

Sundays with Sparky: Campfire Pizza Bar

010
What does it say about me that when I overschedule my life, I post more blog posts than I'm supposed to?  Well, anyway, last week in your special bonus Sundays with Sparky, I told you about Magic Banana Boats and (also pretty magical) Choripan.  Our other dinner was actually something we do at home nearly every week for our traditional Friday Streaming Movie Night dinner, but it works just as well campside, with a free nighttime firefly show.

At home, where we have access to all kinds of delicious ethnic breads, I usually pick up the tastiest-and chewiest-looking flatbread I can find: Naan, Georgian Puri Bread, Iranian Khaboos, and Pita all are good options.  I've certainly made my own pizza crust, but I find that I'm less inclined to make this dinner when I do; breadmaking can be messy.

008So, basically I set out breads (in this case I'd packed some Naan) on aluminum-foil sheets and laid out toppings: fresh mozzarella, tiny pepperoni, summer sausage, olives, artichokes and red peppers, tomato sauce and a couple different pesto sauces.  

011Everybody set to work topping their pizza exactly the way they wanted.  

013We set the pizzas over the fire. 





Nature provided us with a snack while we waited.

027

012To brown the tops a bit, we overturned a frying pan over the pizza and used tongs to put hot coals on top of the frying pan.

016
Eventually, the heat melted the cheese, warmed the toppings, and toasted the bread, and we enjoyed pizza.  Easy-peasy.


After that, we had dark chocolate, dulce de leche and homemade-marshmallow s'mores and enjoyed the free light show.

022

  Mmmm!

No comments:

Post a Comment