Wednesday, June 22, 2011

The Food Desert Project: Moroccan Hard-Boiled Egg Sandwich

003

Often, I try to push the envelope with the food desert project:  I tend towards recipes that are complicated, involve a  lot of scratch cooking, and use ingredients in a unique way.  This time, however, I happened on a recipe that was so simple and timely, I just had to post it here.

Apparently hard-boiled egg sandwiches are a common street food and a staple in Morocco.  Sometimes they are more like an egg salad, and include garlic, potato, and parsley (which I suppose could be made to fit the parameters of the food desert project if I used dried potatoes and spices.)  However, this version struck me as so simple and elegant that it had to be strikingly good...and it was:

0022 slices of toast - use the best bread you are able to find or make
1-2 hard-boiled eggs, in thin slices (note, this egg was the octohedron, which slices into squares, cool, huh?)
Olive Oil to taste
Salt
Cumin (if your food desert doesn't carry cumin, use chili powder)

Simply arrange the egg slices in a layer on the toast, sprinkle with olive oil, salt, and a copious amount of cumin (less if you're using ground) cover with the remaining toast and enjoy!  This is the perfect recipe if you have extra hard-boiled eggs lying around - I suppose most families would eat this around Easter, not after doing a geometry project ;-)

004

No comments:

Post a Comment