Monday, July 19, 2010

The Food Desert Project: Hoppin' John Burgers

P3290078
Well, since no one participated in the BSI contest, I guess I'll share my own Black Eye Pea recipe:  Blackeye peas actually come to us from Africa (which is why they look like beans, but are referred to as peas: both are legumes, but beans - typically a summer crop - originated in the Americas, where peas - typically a cool-season crop - originated in West Africa.)  All the pea and bean members of the legume family are healthy foods: I love the creamy texture of peas, blackeye peas in particular.  Hoppin' John comes to us from African slaves who lived in the Carolinas, and who brought their foods with them from Africa.  Next week's BSI contest will be hosted by Hema at h4hemh4help

Hoppin' John Burgers

½ cup of uncooked rice (ideally brown rice, but add 10 minutes to cooking time)
1 cup of water
1 tbsp dried onion flakes
½ tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp chili powder
1 ½ cups of cooked or canned blackeye peas
¼ cup shredded cheddar cheese
3/4 cup egg substitute or 3 egg whites
Fresh breadcrumbs (put a stale hotdog bun or two in the blender)
Bacon fat
Oil

Cook the rice and seasonings together (bring water and seasonings to a boil, add rice, turn down to low and simmer for 15 minutes) add the blackeye peas and allow to cool. Place in a chopper, blender or food processor with 3 eggs and cheese and blend to a chunky paste (like chunky peanut butter) form into loose patties and dredge in breadcrumbs. Fry in oil flavored with rendered bacon fat.  Makes 4 burgers: Nutrition information (burgers as prepared with bacon topping only; no bun or mayo)

Serve on toasted hamburger buns slathered in mayo. Top with bacon.





We often buy the frozen blackeye peas, which I assume are no different than if you bought dried ones and soaked them overnight. I like having these in my pantry; they brighten up a plain bowl of rice - all you have to do is toss them in the pot with raw rice and water, and cook the rice as you would normally.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry I didn't participate last week! My MIL had her family reunion and I was swamped cooking for that.

Hope you are having a great week!

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

Well I think it looks great Michelle. I do hope you awarded yourself a prize for such a great entry.

I think the link has been broken. I am not finding an announcement on Hema's blog. Please let me know if you pass it on to someone else instead or if you know what happens now. I am trying to keep an up-to-date listing on The Food Blog Diary.

My email is tinnedtomatoes@googlemail.com.

Thanks
Jac
:)

Post a Comment